The Smokies Best

The Smokies Best
Our beautiful back yard!

December 14, 2010

Our Great Local Legend: Dolly!!!

It's not surprising that we have an affinity for Dolly Rebecca Parton.  The singer, actress, writer and philanthropist is the darling of our area.  Not only is she talented (writing over 3,000 songs in her lifetime) but she posseses a unique wit and charm.   She hasn't forgotten where she came from and continually gives to the communities of Gatinburg, Sevierville and Pigeon Forge.  She began the Imagination Library to provide books for children from birth to kindergarten.  Her inspration for the Imagination Library was her father who couldn't read or write, not from a lack of desire, but from a lack of opportunity.  She stated that she wanted to “put her money where her mouth is – and with such a big mouth that’s a pretty large sum of money”, and so she did.  Tennacious, intuitive and gracious she continually gives to the community in ways that aren't announced or read about.  Her affiliation with Dollywood and Splash Country and her own Dixie Stampede creates thousands of jobs and is a major economic contributor for the area.
  
So, enjoy just a few quotes from our "Book Lady" Dolly listed below.  Let us know your favorite or send us one we may have missed!

 If you time your vist just right you may get a glimpse of Dolly, she regularly returns to her Smoky Mountain Home and stars in the yearly kickoff parade for Dollywood each spring.  


1. I still close my eyes and go home - I can always draw from that.

2. I'm not going to limit myself just because people won't accept the fact that I can do something else.

3. If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

4. If you talk bad about country music, it's like saying bad things about my momma. Them's fightin' words. 

5. I look just like the girls next door... if you happen to live next door to an amusement park.

 
6. Storms make trees take deeper roots.


7. The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

8. We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails.

9. You'll never do a whole lot unless you're brave enough to try. 

10. You'd be surprised how much it costs to look this cheap!

11. I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment